Monday, April 20, 2015

Technicolor Galaxy - Star Points - Block 2 and Piano Keys - Block 3

I started the star points (block 2) to the Technicolor Galaxy as planned.  Paper piecing was the technique used for the blocks.  This was the first time I ever heard of paper piecing.  Once I read the instructions, I wish I knew about this before I started the Kaleidoscope quilt for my husband!  It would have been so much easier.

I wanted to have orange coming out of the center of the color wheel (Block 1) and I love gray and found so gray and white fabric I thought would work well for the "rays" from the sun center.  I didn't have as much fabric for what I originally had planned but added the orange butterfly fabric to augment it and I think it turned out well.


 
I'm decided to just use the walking foot to do the quilting.  I love the way the quilting with the walking foot turned out.  The back of the quilt will all be different grays/blacks. 
Before I finished, block 3 instructions came out.  It appeared to be an easy, paper pieced block.  So I went ahead and started on it.  My original plan was to go with blue on the first outer ring of the quilt.  I stated second guessing myself because my grandma said she wanted the quilt and loves reds. I thought about adding red to the first ring but decided to go with my original plan. I think the blue compliments the center and star points.  I might still add some red to the first ring in the arrow points, but not yet.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment