Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Dinosaur Baby Quilt 004

One of our friends are expecting a little boy in June.  I really wanted to make them a baby quilt; however, I was pretty nervous about it because it will be my first project that I've giving to someone else. 
I didn't have a pattern in mind when I started this time.  I want to pick the fabrics first and then use those as the inspiration for the quilt design.  I went to my LQS, Quilters Attic in Goodlettsville TN and found  a pillowcase bundle that included a dinosaur fabric.  The bundle included 3 fabric, enough to do a pillowcase.  I also saw on the bolt they had another dinosaur fabric that would coordinate for the back.  So I bought the pillowcase bundle ($24 for approximately 3/4 yard of the green dinosaur fabric, 1/2 yard of the white circle fabric, and 1/4 yard of the orange dot fabric) and 1 yard of the backing fabric.
Once I got home, I started brainstorming different designs.  I would bounce them off my husband and the first several, he was happy with.  I finally stumbled on Amy Smart's (diary of a quilter) four patch design.  Fast Four Patch Tutorial I thought it would work well with the amount of fabric I had.  I designed to sketch out the design.  I had a fat quarter of orange fabric in my stash that I used to supplement the orange dot fabric.  I also originally thought I had enough fabric to get all 20 squares of the white circle fabric but I was 2 squares off.  Luckily I had the exact size of square left over from my first baby quilt that I could use (score)!
Then I started cutting.  The small squares are 4.5x4.5 and the large ones are 8.5X8.5.  It took my about 2 hours to iron and cut all the fabric and only 2 hours to sew together the whole quilt top!!  I was so pleased with how fast it came together and how well it turned out!
Next came the quilting.  I wanted to do a simple design so I knew I would be successful and it would look good.  Since I've only FMQ 1 time, I didn't want to do it for a quilt that I was going to gift.  I ended up quilting in the ditch of all the large square and doing somewhat of an echo on the inside of all the large squares.  I used a walking foot for the quilting.
Binding is a solid blue.  I love how cute it turned out.

When I took it to the baby shower, it was a huge hit!  I was shocked with how excited the other guest at the baby shower were about it.  It definitely eased by nerves to know that everyone loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment