Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Marcelle Medallion - pillow

I recently joined the Music City Modern Quilters Guild when they had a Latifah Saafir workshop.  Just a couple of months later, Alexia Abegg from Cotton+Steel came to give a lecture and do an afternoon workshop on the Marcelle Medallion Quilt.  I love how many quality events they have already put on.

The medallion has y-seams and I've always wanted to learn how to do them!  I was not sure about starting a full, new quilt since I only like have a 2 projects going on at a time.  I'm currently working on a King quilt for our bed using the Swoon pattern from Thimble Blossoms and an EEP project with the TulaNova pattern.  I also have a couple that I've put on hold until I finish these (Timber by Alison Glass and Fandango by Tula Pink).  I really love the Marcelle Medallion pattern, but I took the workshop mainly to learn the technique.  Then I figured I would either but it on hold or make a small project with it.

Finished center Medallion
Medallion with first border
I've been wanting to do another pillow.  This time quilted and finished better than my first pillow.  I used Latifah Saafirs Magic Pillow Facing Tutorial and the pillow looks great.  I love the lining inside, so you don't see the seams.  And it is great to have it finished! I really don't like projects hanging over me. I might make the quilt in the future, but next time I'll make the Medallion with the paper piecing instructions instead of y-seams.

Fabrics - Alison Glass Sunprints 2017, Alison Glass Handcrafted 2 (dark blue and back of pillow) and 1 fat quarter from Lizzy House

Batting - I used what I had left over from another quilt, warm and natural cotton


Finished pillow


No comments:

Post a Comment